ADTRAN leads new initiative for open interfaces in FTTx to bring operators the same freedoms as cable, video and DSL broadband
LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 20, 2015-- ADTRAN®, Inc., (NASDAQ: ADTN), a leading provider of next-generation networking solutions, is unlocking closed, single-vendor access networks to bring FTTx into line with the open, standards based approach common across all other broadband media. ADTRAN’s commitment is manifest in the unique products, interfaces and interoperability demos showcased on its Broadband World Forum booth (C40).
“The market demands a fully programmable network to give operators better control over their services, their multi-vendor infrastructure, and their commercial destiny,” said Jay Wilson, senior vice president of technology and strategy, ADTRAN. “For that we need to open all broadband network architecture to maximise choice of best-in-class solutions and assure optimum deployment synergies. This is more than an aspiration; it is a major focus for our innovation resources and it is a defining hallmark of the Future Network State as we see it.”
Among the major industry players adding their voices to this initiative is Technicolor, one of the global leaders in modems, gateways and set-top boxes. “Whether it is G.fast or FTTH, operators want to push boundaries with the best available technology, and deploy end-to-end solutions comprising best-in-class vendors,” said Gary Gutknecht, vice president, product management at Technicolor. “We support ADTRAN’s initiative because we share the same vision for broadband – in all its forms – becoming a fully open, unlocked architecture.”
The following ADTRAN innovations for building the fully programmable network via unlocked architectures are available to explore at this week’s Broadband World Forum event in London (booth C40):
- NG-PON2 in Action
- SDN-programmable XGS-PON with NG-PON2 Evolution
- New Universal 10G ONT Portfolio for both FTTH and FTTB
- Open OLT & ONT Interfaces
- A live demonstration of business and residential NG-PON2 services consolidated on a single OLT will be running throughout the show
- ADTRAN is pioneering the development of a NG-PON2 solution that supports the emerging XGS-PON standard. This will allow for a sustainable adoption model while supporting the value proposition of both tuneable and fixed 10G optics.
- Launched for BBWF, a new generation of 10G ONTs for a variety of residential and business applications (SFU, MDU, SME). Supporting open, SDN-based API and RESTful interfaces allows full functional support on any 3rd party broadband infrastructure.
- ADTRAN is the only vendor providing both universal third-party ONT and OLT interoperability support on its broadband solution.
ADTRAN, Inc. is a leading global provider of networking and communications equipment. ADTRAN’s products enable voice, data, video and Internet communications across a variety of network infrastructures. ADTRAN solutions are currently in use by service providers, private enterprises, government organizations, and millions of individual users worldwide. For more information, please visit www.adtran.com.
View source version on businesswire.com
Source: ADTRAN, Inc.
Connect2 Communications for ADTRAN
Ashley Baster, 919-435-9112